As an electrical engineer who worked almost exclusively on analog to digital conversion (the key to our digital era), one would think I am a high tech junkie. I am not! I still own analog equipment and have a flip phone. I have been able to see the evils of technology along the way. I remember my bosses wanting to give me a corporate phone and hook me up with beepers or whatever the current technology was. I did not want them and I did not require anyone who worked for me to have these evil devices. Why are they evil? They enable your boss or workplace to harass you 24/7 so you can never escape work.
Facebook, Twitter, and other social mediums were developed by socially challenged engineers because they needed to figure out a way to communicate. Instead of talking to the guy in the office next to them, they could tweet them or send them a message on FB. In other words, there is nothing social about social mediums, it was used as a means to replace personal contact.
Sure, there are a lot of good things that come with the internet and social media. But, there is so much evil it surely outweighs the benefits:
· People are less personal and privacy is all but gone
· It is a medium for people to bully and stalk others
· People use it for other criminal reasons: recruiting terrorists and identity theft are on the rise
· People use it for divisive political purposes such as propaganda, hacking, and fear mongering
· The technology takes jobs away from people
· There are more leaks of proprietary information
· It makes unhealthy both mentally and physically
. Texting and or talking on phones has turned into the biggest highway killer
One could argue instead of making the world a better place by uniting and bringing people around the globe closer together, social media has done the opposite. If you ask me, the evils outweigh the advantages of social media. I would be all for shutting down the internet to stop groups like ISIS to brainwash and recruit people to commit acts of terror; I would be for shutting down the internet so people could once again learn how to interact with each other socially; I would be for shutting down the internet if it saved the lives of innocent drivers; and so on.