Saturday, April 11, 2020

The Hysterical Food Police

Going grocery shopping is already a nightmare, but it just got worse. Our store is already too small for our city and that explains why I had to wait an hour to get in the store because they are limiting shoppers. Okay, I understand that, it is better to be safe than sorry. But shortly after getting into the store the couple waiting in line behind me brought the store manager up to me and pointed and said "Him! He is the one!" The manager started to quiz me as the couple and others looked on. How old am I? he asked. I replied "56". The lady said he is a liar. I showed him my license. He then explained to me that 7 to 8 am is limited to persons that are 60 or older or have some underlying health conditions. I explained it was after 8am by the time I got in the store. The couple argued I should have not been in line before 8 am. They were also were angered that I did not wear a face mask while waiting in line and went the wrong way down one aisle complaining that I was a naysayer of science. Those complaints are true, but the new one way signs are hard to see. I also explained a mask was not required in the line outside because we were all well over 6 feet apart. Furthermore, no grocery store workers were wearing masks and at that same time 3 people were going the wrong way down the aisle. Are they going to be reprimanded? I also explained only one family member should do the shopping, are they going to be reprimanded? I would never complain about such a violation because I nothing about them, maybe they both need to shop because they have some disability. I do not know.

When I explained to the manager that I had an underlying medical condition. Again, I was called a liar and naysayer of science. I explained how I had low immunoglobulins and lymphocytes. I had been immune deficient since I was a child. I told them I have been sick most of life and they did not believe me. I also explained to the scientists that covid is more likely to kill men than women because they have better immune systems than men. That is why women are more susceptible to get an autoimmune disease, sometimes a strong system attacks good cells. And that is why they live much longer than men. They did not believe me or my science so I invited them to be my guest this Friday afternoon at the hospital infusion clinic where I am getting IVIg treatments for immune deficiency, neurological disease, and autoimmune disease. I said lunch is on me and would welcome company for the 4 hour procedure.

He let me finish but warned about coming back during restricted hours. They did not believe me even though they accused me of being 35 years old and were proven wrong on that point.

Shopping has become a nightmare but this is out of line. None of us know what is going on inside another person and to presume we do is very dangerous. If we can all worry about ourselves and do the right thing then everything will be alright. We do not need a bunch of presumptuous know it all chiefs dictating their biased beliefs on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment